If you are planning to head off on holiday or on a business trip, one of the things that you may be worried about is the security of your home. While you may have neighbours or friends that can pop in to check on your property, you still need to ensure that it is secure and protected at times when there is nobody around such as during the night or while others are at work.
By taking precautions before you go, you can help to enhance the security of your home while you are away. This means far greater peace of mind and protection, so you can get on with enjoying your trip without being constantly worried about your home.
5 Tips to help with your home security
There are a number of simple and effective solutions to ensuring your home is more secure when you head off on a trip. Some of the steps you can take include:
- Make sure all door and window locks are working: If you have faulty or damaged locks on doors and windows, this can reduce security considerably. Before you go away, make sure you check all of the locks on external access points to ensure they are working properly and that they are secure.
- Make it look as though you are there: Another thing you should do is try and make it look as though you or someone else is at the property. You can do this by using automatic timers on some lights so that they go on and off at set times. If you have a second vehicle, park it in the driveway. You can even add a timer to the TV so that it goes on at certain time and creates noise to make it look like someone is in.
- Use an IP security system: In today’s digital age it has become easier to monitor your home even when you are not there. Using an IP security system means that you can view the property from your mobile device, activate and deactivate the alarm, receiving alerts in the event of a problem, and control many of the appliances in your home.
- Be careful who you tell: While most of us tell close friends and family that we will be away, over recent years people have started broadcasting this on social media. This is asking for trouble because people you barely know or don’t know at all will be able to see when you are going to be away and your property will be empty.
- Get friends or neighbours to help: You can also turn to the old fashioned methods of getting a close friend or neighbour to check on your home daily. Provide them with a spare key so that people can see them going in and out of the property. Also, ask them to visit at different times so that people don’t get to recognise their routine.
Enjoy peace of mind while you are away
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy far greater peace of mind while you are away. This means that you can get on with enjoying your vacation of dealing with business and reduce any concerns with regards to the security of your home.