When cold weather arrives, you want to make sure your house is in its best shape. You need to get into the habit of making sure your house is ready for winter. In additional to routine maintenance, there are few simple things that you can do to make sure your house is ready for the winter months that lie ahead.
Here are 7 things you can do to make your home cosy, cost-efficient, and healthier during the cold winter months:
- Make sure the drains are clear. When heavy rains arrive, you want to make sure the drains are clear so you don’t have to worry about flooding that can cause water damage to your home. Regularly clean gutters, the down pipes, and drains. Then, rake up any bark and leaves to prevent further problems.
- Make sure you tidy up your garden to get it ready for the next season. It is prime time to aerate your garden and your lawn, or even dig up your garden for next season.
- Conduct a safety check to prevent fires. Make sure carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms are operational. Check your electric blankets, hair dryers, and heaters. Also use fireplaces with caution, always using a fire screen.
- Make sure you have your regular maintenance checks for your heaters. Clean out the fireplace and check for adequate ventilation. Check your home and heaters for gas and carbon monoxide leaks.
- Prevent illness. Get rid of those germs that lurk during this time of year. Regularly clean the surfaces that can harbour germs. Use hand sanitiser, and wipe down your laptop, door handles, phone, tablet, and similar items with an anti-bacterial alcohol wipe.
- Check your home for any gaps, cracks, and drafts that allow air in your house. Check around doors and windows, and replace rubber door seals and weather stripping.
- You can warm up your home décor and warm up your home at the same time. Add a floor rug or two to help warm up the floors as an insulator.
By taking these seven tips seriously, you can make sure your home is feeling much warmer and cosier during the colder months that lie ahead.
Follow our blog for more helpful tips and to stay up-to-date on current real estate news.
If you have questions about buying or selling real estate or would like to speak to a real estate agent, contact us today. We’d be happy to offer advice.
The information and links provided on this website are for general information only and should not be taken as constituting professional advice. This information does not take into account the financial situation or particular needs of individual readers. Before making any decisions about matters discussed on this website, you should consider whether it is suitable for you in light of your own circumstances, and seek appropriate advice.